The Andy Griffith Museum, featuring the late Emmett Forrest’s amazing collection of Andy Griffith memorabilia, is open daily in Mount Airy, N.C. For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Oct. 23: “An Evening with Ron Howard” as part of the Bryan Series, hosted by Guilford College in Greensboro, N.C. In a conversation moderated by legendary film critic Leonard Maltin, Ron Howard will share reflections on his 50 years in the motion picture and television industry. He will discuss his journey from his role as Opie to his achievements as one of the most accomplished filmmakers of our time. Expect him to talk about the creative process and the significance of his films including Apollo 13, A Beautiful Mind, Frost/Nixon and others. The presentation starts at 7:30 at the Greensboro Coliseum.
Tickets are on sale now through Ticketmaster for about $59 (including fees & taxes), plus $7 per vehicle (“everybody on the truck!”) for parking For more info, visit www.guilford.edu/bryan-series.
* Oct. 31- Nov. 2: Back to Mayberry Retreat at the Eagle Ridge Conference Center in Raymond, Miss. A fundraiser weekend of Christian fellowship and Mayberry fun and games in the heart of Mississippi. For more info visit www.backtomayberryretreat.webs.com.
* Nov. 1: “Mayberry Moments” show starring Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band and featuring David “Mayberry Deputy” Browning at East High School in Morristown, Tenn. A fundraiser for the FOP’s “Shop with Cop” program. Showtime and ticket prices TBA.
* Nov. 1-6: Cruise to Mayberry 9 stars LeRoy “Mack” McNees, George Lindsey, Jr. , and a passel of Mayberry tribute artists for music, sights, sun, fun, and games…and hearty eatin’ aboard Carnival’s Victory cruise ship, departing Miami for Ocho Rios, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. For more info, contact Sharon at All About Cruises (336) 538-4926 or by e-mail at email@example.com or visit the website at www.allaboutcruisesnc.net.
* Nov. 5-10: David “Mayberry Deputy” Browning joins the VW Boys and a boatload of down-home comedy, bluegrass, and country music performers on the Acoustic Cruise sailing from Charleston, S.C., to the Caribbean. Info is at www.ExclusiveCruiseTravel.com, or call Kathy Kennedy at (877)288-7711.
* Dec. 5-7: A Life Lessons From Mayberry Christmas in Ridgecrest, N.C. (outside Asheville) features special guest Margaret Kerry (“Bess” from “Christmas Story” and “Helen” from “Andy Forecloses”). This fun and inspirational weekend draws on the biblical truths and life applications found in TAGS. Guests are invited to bring 1960s attire or dress as a character for the Saturday night Christmas banquet. Adults: $195 per person (based on double occupancy), which includes two nights of on-campus lodging, six meals, Bible study sessions based on four favorite episodes, and preaching and worship. Kids 12 and up: $96 (when staying in parents’ room); kids under 12: $66 (when staying in parents’ room). To register, call Ridgecrest Conference Center at 800-588-7222 or visit www.ridgecrestconferencecenter.org/event/mayberrychristmas. Questions? E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Dec. 21: “Mayberry Christmas” show starring Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band, Maggie Peterson, and David “Mayberry Deputy” Browning. This performance is FREE! Presented by the Fountain of Life Bible Church at the Freedom Hall Auditorium in Johnson City, Tenn. Doors open at 6 p.m. for Deputy patrolling. Show time is 7 p.m.
* Jan 9: Karen Knotts performs “Tied Up in Knotts” at the Norris Center in Naples, Fla. Show time is 7:30. For more info, call 239-213-3058 or visit www.naplesgov.com.
* Jan. 11: Karen Knotts performs “Tied Up in Knotts” at the Florissant Civic Center in Florissant, Mo., at 2:00 p.m. Admission is $28.00. For more info or tickets, call (314) 921-5678 or visit www.florissantmo.com.
* Feb. 15: Karen Knotts performs “Tied Up in Knotts at the Howard Performing Arts Center on the campus of Andrews University in Berrien Springs, Mich. Show time is 7:30. For more info, call 888 467-6442 or visit www.howard.andrews.edu.
* Mar. 5-7: The 18th Annual George Lindsey UNA Film Festival in Florence, Ala. Details TBA. For updates go to www.lindseyfilmfest.com.
* Mar. 8: Barbara Eden (Mayberry manicurist Ellen Brown) and Hal Linden (Barney Miller) perform Love Letters at the Niswonger Performing Arts Center of Northwest Ohio, located in Wert. Show time is 3 p.m.. Tickets go on sale Dec. 10, and prices range from $20 to $40. For more info or tickets, visit npacvw.ticketforce.com, or call (419) 238-6722.
* Mar. 14: Barney Google and Snuffy Smith cartoonist John Rose will be doing a “Snuffy Smith” Chalk Talk and book signing at 1:00 p.m. at the Public Library in Mount Airy, N.C. John is also an editorial cartoonist and will show examples of his editorial cartoons, including his touching editorial cartoon tributes to George Lindsey and Andy Griffith that he drew upon their deaths.
In his chalk talk, John will talk about his career as the Barney Google and Snuffy Smith cartoonist, show samples of his cartoon work and draw some of the comic strip’s most popular characters for the audience.
* May 1 and 2: Fifth Annual Mayberry Comes to Westminster festival in Westminster, S.C. Details TBA. Photo highlights from 2014 at www.mayberrywestminster.com.
* May 15-17: Mayberry in the Midwest returns to Danville, Ind. Among the festival’s highlights are the parade, the Mayberry Squad Car Nationals, and performances by the Mayberry Tribute Artists. Karen Knotts will perform her “Tied Up in Knotts” show. Other guest stars and details TBA. For now, just mark your calendar.
* Sept. 23-27: 26th Annual Mayberry Days in Mount Airy, N.C. Mayberry Days started in 1990, so this 26th annual festival marks its 25th Anniversary, and also the 55th Anniversary of “The Andy Griffith Show” itself. The festival already shows signs of being more chock-full of fun than ever before. If that’s even possible!
Tickets are already available online for key parts of the weekend, including the Mayberry Days Golf Tournament (aka The Emmett) and banquet show; a concert by Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band, with special guest Maggie Peterson; the comedy show of James Gregory (“the funniest man in America”; the VW Boys Tribute to Mayberry; Neal Brower’s Lecture; Colonel Tim’s Talent Time, and more. For info, updates and tickets, visit www.surryarts.org .
* Oct. 8: Karen Knotts performs “Tied Up in Knotts” at 2 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio. Venue and other details TBA.