Bulletin Board & Event Calendar
The Andy Griffith Museum, featuring the late Emmett Forrest's amazing collection of Andy Griffith memorabilia, is open daily in Mount Airy, N.C. For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* July 4: Barbara Eden appears at the Cajun Country Jam in Livingston, La. For info, visit www.facebook.com/livingstoncajuncountryjam
* July 4: David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning, Kenneth "Otis" Junkin, Phil "Ernest T." Fox, Jeff "Howard Sprague" Branch, Michael "Gomer" Oliver, and Georgia "Aunt Bee" Branam harvest laughs at the Southeast Old Threshers Reunion festival in Denton, N.C. They'll do shows with the Burrows Brothers bluegrass band at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. For more info, visit www.farmpark.com.
* July 11: Neal Brower, author of Mayberry 101, presents a lecture on the "Briscoe Declares for Aunt Bee" episode of TAGS, starting at 2 p.m., in the Andy Griffith Museum Theatre in Mount Airy, N.C. Admission is included with an Andy Griffith Museum admission. For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* July 11: David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning adds Mayberry harmony to the Sing II Faith in Action Fundraiser at the Paramount Theatre in Bristol, Tenn.
* July 11 and 12: Roland White Band performs at the Frankfort Bluegrass Festival in Frankfort, Ill.
* July 14: David Mayberry Deputy" Browning sets up Checkpoint Chickie at the International Norton Owners Association Carolina Vintage Motorcycle Rally.
* July 17: Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) greets fans at the Andy Griffith Museum 12:30-3:30 p.m. She will have autographed 8?--10 photos available ($10). For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* July 17-19: Mayberry Meet-Up in Mount Airy, N.C. Timed in part to coincide with Betty Lynn's autograph session on Friday, this informal gathering is being coordinated by Allan "Floyd" Newsome as a chance for fans to gather and enjoy Mount Airy during a quieter time of year than with the wall-to-wall activities and crowds of Mayberry Days (also not to be missed!) in September.
There's a light schedule of planned activities that folks can pick and choose from. It's mostly just a chance to hang out and relax in Mount Airy with fellow visitors and local friends. The Mayberry Motor Inn and its gazebo serve as the home base for weekend. Click the highlighted link above for details.
* July 19: Top off your weekend in Mount Airy with a special event at the historic Earle Theatre, which will host director Gary Nelson and producer Dick Atkins, who will discuss Murder in Coweta County, their acclaimed 1983 TV movie starring Andy Griffith and Johnny Cash and Cindi Knight (who was soon to become Mrs. Andy Griffith).
The director-producer commentary session starts at 3 p.m. and will be followed by a rare screening of the movie at 4 p.m. (Several other screenings of the movie are also showing at the Earle between July 17th and July 21st, but today's afternoon screening is the only one accompanied by the discussion with the director and producer.) Note: Gary Nelson also directed the "Malcolm at the Crossroads" episode of "The Andy Griffith Show," two episodes of "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C." and dozens of hit TV shows, miniseries, and TV movies from the 1960s through the 1990s. It promises to be a special afternoon at the Earle.
* July 25: Darling mandolin man Dean Webb and The Missouri Boatride Bluegrass Band perform as part of the FREE Bluegrass on the Lake concert series in the parking lot outside the Hillbilly Bowl in Kimberling City, Mo. Show time is 7 p.m. Bring your own comfortable seating.
* Aug. 6-8: David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning stalks fun at the Tazewell County Fair in Tazewell, Va.
* Aug. 8: Neal Brower, author of Mayberry 101, presents a lecture on the "Andy and Opie, Housekeepers" episode of TAGS, starting at 2 p.m., in the Andy Griffith Museum Theatre in Mount Airy, N.C. Admission is included with an Andy Griffith Museum admission. For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Aug. 12: Karen Knotts performs her "Tied Up in Knotts" show to the Red Skelton Museum in Vincennes, Ind. David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning also performs. Show time is 7 p.m., and tickets are $10. For info, call (812) 888-4184.
* Aug. 13 -16: Karen Knotts headlines Mayberry Pie Festival with her "Tied Up in Knotts" show (7:30 on Fri. and 3 p.m. on Sat.) at the Kentucky Classic Theatre in Lebanon, Ky. Tickets start at $10. The weekend is full of Mayberry inspired activities, including a fishing tourney, trivia contests, free music concerts, a pie-eating contest, and a show by Barney and Otis impersonators. For more info and tickets, go to www.visitlebanonky.com/calendar-of-events/mayberry-pie-festival.
* Aug. 21: Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou) greets fans at the Andy Griffith Museum 12:30-3:30 p.m. She will have autographed 8?--10 photos available ($10). For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Aug. 22: Rodney Dillard and Maggie Peterson are joined by several of the Mayberry tribute artists (including David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning, Allan "Floyd" Newsome, Kenneth "Otis" Junkin, Phil "Ernest T." Fox, and Jeff "Howard" Branch) for a concert benefiting the Montgomery County DARE program on Saturday at the James H. Garner Center in Troy, N.C. Tickets for the show are $20 for reserved seats and $15 for general admission. Tickets for children 6 years-12 years old are $10. For more info, call Jeff Branch at (704) 985-6987, e-mail email@example.com, or visit www.bluegrassintroy.com.
* Aug. 29 and 30: David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning is on track for the 25th Annual Depot Days in Amboy, Ill.
* Sept. 20-23: Life Lessons From Mayberry: It's All There in Black and White in Ridgecrest, N.C. (just outside Asheville) is a Bible study event drawing on the biblical truths and life applications found in "The Andy Griffith Show." The event is $300 per person (based on double occupancy), and includes three nights of on-campus lodging, eight meals, Bible study sessions based on favorite TAGS episodes, dynamic preaching, worship, bluegrass concert, and special guest Margaret Kerry (Bess Muggins in "Christmas Story" and Helen Scobey in "Andy Forecloses"). To register, call Ridgecrest Conference Center at (800) 588-7222 or visit www.lifeway.com/mayberry.
* Sept. 24-27: 26th Annual Mayberry Days in Mount Airy, N.C. Mayberry Days started in 1990, so this 26th annual festival marks its 25th Anniversary, and also the 55th Anniversary of "The Andy Griffith Show" itself. The festival already shows signs of being more chock-full of fun than ever before. If that's even possible!
Guest stars confirmed so far include beloved host cast member Betty Lynn (Thelma Lou); Barbara Eden (Manicurist Ellen Brown), who is making her first-ever appearance at a Mayberry event; Clint Howard (sandwich-toting Leon), who is making his Mayberry Days debut and attending his first Mayberry event since 1997; Elizabeth MacRae (Betty Parker on TAGS and Lou Ann Poovie on "Gomer Pyle, U.S.M.C."); Ronnie Schell (two TAGS episodes and Duke Slater on "Gomer Pyle"); Margaret Kerry (Bess Muggins and Helen Scobey); festival favorite George Spence (Frank the Boyfriend); and George Lindsey Jr. Stay tuned for further updates on the incredible lineup of stars for this year's special festival.
Tickets are already available online for key parts of the weekend, including the Mayberry Days Golf Tournament (aka The Emmett) and banquet show; Doug Dillard Tribute Concert by Darling boy Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band, with special guest Maggie Peterson (Charlene Darling); "Remember Me with Laughter: A Tribute to James Best presented by Dorothy Best with David Browning; the comedy show of James Gregory ("the funniest man in America"); the VW Boys Tribute to Mayberry; and Neal Brower's Lecture including TAGS assistant director Bruce Bilson (who, after his two seasons on TAGS, went on to be an Emmy-winning big-time director of other top shows).
And there's still more, including "Tied-Up in Knotts" starring Karen Knotts; Colonel Tim's Talent Time; Michael Hoover's 'Memories of Elvis;" Smoke on the Mountain; The Embers; The Magnificents Band; and much more. For info, updates and tickets, visit www.surryarts.org .
* Oct. 3: 55th Anniversary of the airing of the first episode of "The Andy Griffith Show" on CBS.
* Oct. 3: Dean Webb and The Missouri Boatride perform at The Old Brush Arbor at Keystone Baptist Church in Reeds Spring, Mo.
* Oct. 8: Karen Knotts performs "Tied Up in Knotts" at 2 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio. Venue and other details TBA.
* Oct. 12-17: Ronnie Schell is the special guest star on the Cruise to Mayberry 10 to the Caribbean aboard Carnival's Conquest cruise ship. The cruise departs Ft. Lauderdale for Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau, and a "Fun Day" at sea.
Activities include a Mayberry trivia contest, whistling contest, Mayberry bible study, variety show, concerts, and entertainment by Tim White of the VW Boys and Mayberry Tribute artists, including Allan "Floyd" Newsome, Kenneth "Otis" Junkin, Ronnie "Barney" Felker, Bob "Briscoe" Mundy, Christie "Andelina" McLendon, Jeff "Howard Sprague" Branch, Elease "Thelma Lou" Felker, Tim "Goober" Pettigrew and Keith "Colonel Harvey" Brown. "Elvis" tribute artist Wayne Euliss will also be a featured performer. For more info, visit www.allaboutcruisesnc.net/mayberry.php.
* Oct. 17: Karen Knotts performs "Tied Up in Knotts" at the Uptown Theater in Grand Prairie, Tex. Show time is 7 p.m. For more info and tickets, visit www.uptowntheatergp.com.
* Dec. 3-5: Maggie Peterson (Charlene Darling) is the special guest for A Life Lessons from Mayberry Christmas in Ridgecrest, N.C. (just outside Asheville). This heartwarming weekend will feature Bible studies based on four popular TAGS episodes, inspirational preaching and carols, and a Christmas banquet. Come celebrate Christmas...Mayberry style! For every member of the family--children's prices available. To register, call Ridgecrest Conference Center at (800) 588-7222 or visit www.ridgecrestconferencecenter.org/event/mayberrychristmas.
* Dec. 18: Maggie Peterson and Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band are joined by David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning for a presentation of their Mayberry Christmas show at 7 p.m. ET at the historic State Theater in Elizabethtown, Ky.
* Dec. 19: Maggie Peterson and Rodney Dillard and the "Mayberry Christmas" show troupe featuring David Browning come back to Middle Tennessee with a return engagement in Mt. Juliet at Victory Baptist Church 1777 Tate Rd. 37122. The show starts at 6 p.m. Tickets are $20 per person and go on sale on Oct. 1. (Details about how to purchase tickets TBA before.) Child care will also be provided. The event is jointly presented by Abundant Life Church and Victory Baptist Church.