The Andy Griffith Museum, featuring the late Emmett Forrest's amazing collection of Andy Griffith memorabilia, is celebrating last summer's truly dazzling remodeling. The museum is open daily in Mount Airy, N.C. For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Sept. 27-30: 29th Annual Mayberry Days in Mount Airy, N.C. Actually, a few festival events start as early as Monday the 24th. Stars from "The Andy Griffith Show" confirmed so far include Betty Lynn, Keith Thibodeaux (his Mayberry Days debut!), Dennis Rush (Opie's pal Howie in his Mayberry Days debut!), Rodney Dillard, Maggie Peterson Mancuso, Clint Howard, Ronnie Schell, Margaret Kerry, and LeRoy McNees.
Karen Knotts will also present her show "A Deputy's Daughter." Bettina Linke, wife of late TAGS associate producer Richard O. Linke; Laura Hagen, wife of late TAGS music director Earle Hagen; and Stark Howell (son of actor Hoke Howell, aka Dud Wash) also will be attending.
Tickets are available for several performances and activities, including The Doug Dillard Tribute Concert featuring Rodney Dillard and his band, Ronnie Schell's Salute to Jim Nabors, and "Bluegrass Mayberry Style" by LeRoy McNees and Friends.
Also performing are the VW Boys with their "Salute to Mayberry," the Motown Legacy Revue, Michael Hoover's "Memories of Elvis," the Mayberry Days debut of country star Collin Raye (four platinum albums and four #1 singles), the legendary Marty Stuart and the Fabulous Superlatives (another Mayberry Days debut), James Gregory ("the funniest man in America"), and the Malpass Brothers.
There's still more: Colonel Tim's Talent Time, Neal Brower's Lecture/TAGSRWC Annual Meeting, and the Mayberry Days Golf Tournament and its separate Banquet & Entertainment, which this year features popular stand-up comedian Henry Cho, often called Mr. Clean for the wholesome hilarity he's known for on The Grand Ole Opry, Comedy Central and Sirius Radio.
Or make it a whole week of fun in Mount Airy with shows earlier in the week, Sept. 24-26, including comedian John Floyd (Mon.), beach music by both Band of Oz (Tues.) and The Embers featuring Craig Woolard (Wed.), and screenings of 1983's Murder in Coweta County (starring Andy Griffith and Johnny Cash) along with a special Q&A with producer Dick Atkins (Tues. and Wed. evenings).
And those are just the ticketed events. There's much more that doesn't require tickets, including the Mayberry Days Parade, Mrs. Wiley's Tea Party, trivia, apple-peeling, checkers, horseshoes, pie-eating, pork chop sandwich-eating and Mayberry Idle Talent contests, music, and a variety of vendors.
And that's not to mention meet-and-greet sessions with the Mayberry stars, the Andy Griffith Museum, Mayberry-related movies at the Earle Theatre, Mayberry Days Silent Auction, and all of the everyday sights and attractions of Mount Airy.
For complete info, visit www.mayberrydays.org.
* Oct. 6: Special guests Rodney Dillard and the Dillard Band and Maggie Peterson Mancuso are joined by David "Mayberry Deputy" Browning and host Tim White with the VW Boys for a taping of "Song of the Mountains" (the official TV show of the State of Virginia) at 7:00 p.m. at the Lincoln Theatre in Marion, Va. Reserved seat tickets are $25. For info and tickets, visit https://songofthemountains.org.
* Oct. 19: Betty Lynn greets fans at the Andy Griffith Museum 1:00-3:00 p.m. She will have autographed 8 x 10 photos available ($10). For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Oct. 26: Roland White and his band perform at 9 p.m. at the Station Inn in Nashville, Tenn.
* Nov. 5-10: Mayberry Cruise 13. Dixie Griffith (daughter of Andy) will be the guest for the cruise to the Western Caribbean from Tampa to Cozumel and back aboard Carnival's Paradise. For more info, visit www.allaboutcruisesnc.net or call (336) 538-4926.
* Nov. 16: Betty Lynn greets fans at the Andy Griffith Museum 1:00-3:00 p.m. She will have autographed 8 x 10 photos available ($10). For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.
* Nov. 23: Roland White and his band perform at 9 p.m. at the Station Inn in Nashville, Tenn.
* Dec. 1: Roland White and his band host the annual Bill Monroe Appreciation Night at 9 p.m. at the Station Inn in Nashville, Tenn.
* Dec. 21: Betty Lynn greets fans at the Andy Griffith Museum 1:00-3:00 p.m. She will have autographed 8 x 10 photos available ($10). For info, visit the website at www.andygriffithmuseum.org or call (336) 786-1604.